Monday, September 19, 2011

The Natchitoches Meat Pie Festival

This fabulous weekend started out on Friday, September 16, 2011 at noon when I had the opportunity to introduce Mrs. Louisiana Plus America (most of you know her as my mom, Kathy Lied) and the Woman Natchitoches Meat Pie Festival Queen, Amanda LaBorde, to Laughter Yoga. This is a wonderful, uplifting experience in which you use deliberate laughter to induce endorphins and basically put yourself in a positive mood. It was at Laughter Yoga that we adopted our official "cheer" for the weekend - "Very good, very good, yea!"

With smiles on our faces, laughter in our hearts, and enough clothes, makeup, and crowns loaded in the car for the weekend, we headed to Natchitoches. We could hear the music from the festival as we arrived in the historic district, and we couldn't help but laugh as Amanda grabbed that big crown and put it on in her truck and started waving at people on the streets. A Meat Pie Festival queen had arrived, and she was so excited! Mrs. Natchitoches Meat Pie, Lori Adams, joined us at our inn, and after a "quick freshening up"  (insert sarcasm here), we were festival bound. The music was great, the food smelled fantastic, but the laughter and friendship will be the long term memory. It was amazing to have people ask about the purple ribbon in my crown, and having the opportunity say, "I represent the American Cancer Society." We ended the night with dinner at The Landing, and some of the best boiled shrimp I've ever eaten. I shall skip the part where our room had no air conditioning, and we had to sleep with the doors open, but needless to say, I just knew I would be waking up with a a Cane River critter in the bed.

This was my first festival weekend as a member of the Rhinestone Sisterhood, and I can't wait for the next!

Louisiana Plus America Alumnae
Lori Adams, Kathy Lied, Amanda LaBorde & Tonya Lied Kidd

With Mom at the Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment