Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why Do I Relay? For Heather Hirschfeld Bellanger

I met Heather Hirschfeld Bellanger during a party at the Sigma Nu house after a Southern Miss football game in September 1993. As a 16 year old college freshman, life was overwhelming, and I was struggling to "find my place" on campus. Heather kind of adopted me that evening, and spent the night introducing me to her friends. We had a blast at countless Sigma Nu parties during our college years. Heather was the kind of girl that always had a smile on her face and had the greatest sense of humor. I never really told her how much her friendship meant to me when we were at USM, and then, unfortunately, we lost touch after college.

When I was crowned Mrs. Louisiana Plus America in April 2010, I was so lucky to have Bobbie Watts as my director. And it just so happened that Bobbie and Heather were scrapbooking friends. Through the miracle of mutual friends and Facebook, Heather was back in my life!

Heather was diagnosed with Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma in November of 2010. To quote her blog, "CANCER was NOT on my Christmas list, but since there is no return line at Walmart for that special gift...It's mine all mine :)." The kind, bubbly girl I knew in college had cancer - Heather was the first one of my friends to face cancer. And for the first time in my life, I felt my own mortality.

Heather has handled her fight with cancer with a humor, grace, and dignity that I admire so very much. When I hear the words, "fight like a girl," it's Heather that always comes to mind. Check out her blog at laughoutloud-heather.blogspot.com. She is not only a survivor, she's a wife, a mom, a friend, and an inspiration.

So why do I Relay? For my friend, Heather Hirschfeld Bellanger.

Click to donate to the American Cancer Society!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful friend to Heather you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya ~ thank you for such a beautiful post. I have tears in my eyes and love in my heart!

    ReplyDelete